Monday, April 13, 2009

Brows, continued

I will admit--this is in response to ETC's comment--that I've made snap judgments based on people's taste in movies (you may find this ironic coming from someone who enjoys watching 'Dude, Where's my Car?.')

Speaking of supremely lowbrow films, I've been thinking a lot about 'Austin Powers.' It became a running joke in Ecuador, because Richard dug a whole for himself the way I often do and gave us fodder for getting at him. Mike Myers came up somehow-- I think we were talking about old Saturday Night Live-- and Richard said he wasn't well loved in Scotland, wasn't a great cultural ambassador, because of Fat Bastard. From then on, Nate broke into Fat Bastard impersonations from time to time.

While I can see that 'Austin Powers' wasn't great for Scotland--and you'll note that it didn't come up as a Lowbrow Movie that I Love--I will give 'Austin Powers' credit for having generated a priceless catch phrase: "Zip it." [repeat as needed]. I find myself saying it to Gracie all the time. Doesn't seem to work, but it feels better to say it.

No comments: