Tuesday, February 10, 2009

logic

I don't think conservatives are always wrong, or monolithic, or inherently bad people. I mean, I know conservatives who are not out of their f*ing mind. But sometimes I can't help but wonder, between the guy that went on a shooting spree at the church he considered "a den of un-American vipers," and the great minds at the Heritage Foundation:
With an expansive view of “welfare spending,” Mr. Rector puts the bill’s two-year welfare tally at $264 billion. (He counts things like Pell Grants, which help low-income students attend college, and Community Development Block Grants, which help low-income neighborhoods finance everything from sewers to crime prevention.)

“I find it offensive that they’re trying to sneak things in there,” Mr. Rector said of the bill’s supporters. “None of these programs deals with the fundamental causes of poverty, which are low levels of work and lower levels of marriage. They just say, ‘Give me more.’”


I mean, what on earth do grants that help low-income students attend college or help low-income neighborhoods finance everything from sewers to crime prevention have to do with the root causes of poverty? Clearly, higher levels of marriage is the answer.
***

I wish this surprised me; while it doesn't, it does provide a great quote:
"I don't think there's anyone in Russia who doesn't know what a drunk person looks like," said Katya Kushner.

No comments: