Thursday, February 26, 2009

Books

Please understand that I tell you of my burn out and exhaustion not to complain or solicit sympathy-- I know you're all burnt out and exhausted, that you work as hard as I do, etc. (although I doubt that your cat annoys the crap out of you to the same extent. Just kidding).

Anyway, while my extracurricular and home repair activities have wound down, work has been insane. I've actually been really enjoying it, but I'm exhausted. All I want to do at the end of the day is go home and rest. Even on less exhausting days, I've skipped out on things that would theoretically be interesting, but when you're tired, you don't really appreciate those things. Conversely, sometimes I get over myself and go to things, and sometimes I'm disappointed (and angry that the organizers or performers of the event wasted my time).

So today I went to a "conversation" with Helene Cooper, now the Times' White House correspondent. I've read a lot of her work over the years, but became especially interested after reading some of her writing on Liberia, her home country. It wasn't actually what I just linked to (that's the first chapter of her book, which she discussed at the event); it was something she wrote just after Ellen Johnson Sirleaf was elected, perhaps this. Anyway, when I heard she was speaking, I knew I had to go. I RSVPd, but when it came time to go, I wanted to go home... but I knew this would be worth it, so I went. Then, the event didn't start for a while. I finished my crossword, read the New Yorker. A smarter, less lazy careerist would have networked over the wine and cheese being served but I had even less energy than usual for schmoozing. I was really tempted to just leave. I almost did, several times. But something told me to stay, and I'm so glad I did. For every event that is a waste of time, that makes you think-- what was it that I read in a movie review the other day--"I could have been turning my mulch;"-- there's that one time that makes you think, I can't believe I almost missed that, that I almost talked myself out of going-- and this was it. She was so good, so fascinating to listen to, so charismatic, so insightful. As well as surprisingly easy to identify with as an immigrant, albeit from a completely different place and situation.

I've not read the book--although I plan to--and I don't think I've ever recommended a book I've not read, but I'll stake my credibility and your time on "The House at Sugar Beach."

No comments: