Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Who's on first?

Mom called me at work (well, she called me on my cell, and I heard it ring and picked up; she doesn't actually have my work number).

Mom: How about Rome in November? There are packages for $999.
A.: I don't think I can do it, mom...
Mom: Rome is beautiful...
A.: I understand. Work-wise, I don't think I can swing it.

To her credit, mom recognized that I sounded busy, and said we'd talk that evening. By the time I called that evening, I didn't even remember what I was calling about.

A.: What did you ask me this morning?
Mom: What?
A.: Oh, yeah, Rome. I just can't do it.
Mom: Rome is beautiful.
A.: I believe it.
Mom: I joined a gym.

Mom discusses the gym for a while. The location, the classes, the price. After all that, she adds, "your father's not interested. Right, V.?"

Dad: I'm not really up for a trip to Italy.
Mom: Who's talking about Italy? I'm talking about the gym.
***

A while ago, we had a pretty painful conversation about photo sharing. I opted not to blog about it because it bordered on making fun of computer skills, which I won't do. I thought against blogging it to make fun of logic. Now I've changed my mind.

Several weeks ago:
Mom: How do you use Picasa? Are your photos online or on your computer?
A.: Both.
Mom: So they're public albums?
A.: I have some of both.
Mom: Why are public albums better?
A.: Huh?
Mom: Nina told Misha [her father] to make his albums public.
A.: She probably couldn't access them. You can only see private albums by invitation.
Mom: So why are public albums better?
A.: It depends on what you're trying to do with them.
Mom: Why did Nina tell Misha to change his albums?
A.: I don't know. You'll have to ask her.

Several iterations of this. I don't recall the exact back-and-forth.


Earlier this evening:
Mom: How did you share your China photos?
A.: Through Picassa.
Mom: Are they private or public?
A.: Public.
Mom: Why are they public.
A.: So I can share them.

No comments: