Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hearing voices

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, I recognized my mother's voice in my head. No, I wasn't hallucinating; I was channeling, in a way, and probably not for the first time. I've probably done it my whole life, but I've only recently started to recognize it.

Mom-channeling voice: Hurry up! Why are you taking so long? Why on earth are you making a salad-- how did you get this idea?

A., to self: That sounds like mom talking-- has she infiltrated my mind? I'm not in a hurry. In fact, I think I'll unload the dishwasher.

Different voice: You might want to see someone about the OCD.

Mom-channeling voice: Idiocy! Idiocy!

A., to self: Ignore them. There is no problem? I am not late. I refuse to be in a hurry all the time.

Mom-channeling voice: How does it take you two hours to get ready for work? How? Normal people can be ready in half-an-hour.

A.: I don't have to justify my time management to you. Besides, it's not yet 7am.

***

I could go on, but I don't think you want me to. The point is, I'm continuing to learn to recognize mom's voice in aspects of my life where it's not constructive. A friend of mine went through this, and recognizing it for what it was helped her turn it down. Sometimes mom is right and/or helpful and the things she taught me are valuable. Other times, it's best to tune out the voice.

No comments: