Saturday, July 12, 2008

I'm not talking about the Museum of Fine Arts

Speaking of ROFLMFAO, I'm going to enlist your support with the MFA part.

You see, Wendy gave me for my birthday "Nudge," by Richard H. Thaler and Cass R. Sunstein. It's fascinating and practical. In fact, it's where I first learned about the uncoolest t-shirt study.

I also learned that you are more likely to stick to your plans if you share them with other people. Keeping a food diary hasn't helped me much, so I'm going to bring my food diary online, Bridget Jones' style. Except that I don't smoke. Or drink that much. Or consume Cadbury dairy milks. And I probably won't bore you with the details. But I will bore you with the transgressions.

It's hard for me to pinpoint the moment that things got out of control, because I did not used to weigh myself a lot. I know that when I went to the doctor just before I went to Portugal, i.e., September 2005, I weighed 110; around anti-Valentine's day 2006, I remember weighing 107; and a year later, I remember weighing Gracie by weighing us both together and subtracting my weight, which was then 112. Whenever I did weigh myself in those days, the number on the scale was always between 107 and 112. Then came Australia, New Zealand and my birthday, and the jump to 118. I started to worry, and I started to weigh myself. That summer (last summer) I got down to 114, and stayed around there through Fall. Then, somehow, I got up to 121, which, according to the CDC, is three pounds from overweight. And I can't get back down. Nor can I get many of my clothes onto MFA.

So I've decided to take this three pounds at a time, from simply unacceptable (the current state of affairs, 121) to less embarrassing (118); not great but it'll do for now (115); and then to 112 (welcome back, my favorite jeans). I am not going to go for 107-- that much I will accept as "I am no longer in my twenties."

This is going to take peer pressure, because I hardly have the restraint on my own.
Here are my rules:

On bike-to-work days: 1,500 calories, 80g of protein, more liberal with the carbs
No-bike or other intense activity days: 1,200 calories, 50 g of protein, fewer carbs
No added sugar 5 days/week

If this fails, it's on to South Beach, which I really don't want to do because I'd like to keep cycling. So help me out. Leave me disparaging comments when I break my own rules. Do whatever you need to do.

Thanks!

2 comments:

Tmomma said...

Have you tried weight watchers online? It works well, I know lots of people who've had success with it. Plus, maybe paying for a diet will put more pressure on you.

Anonymous said...

Ironically, I believe strongly in not supporting the weight loss industry, and that would be the case even if I weren't busy paying for other things right now, like my teeth.