Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Now that's service

I always cringe when I hear celebrities-- or anyone, really-- tell people to give to the Red Cross. They're not a well-managed organization, even post the controversial Elizabeth Dole reforms. There are plenty of agencies that do the same work better.

Nor is their blood donation work beyond reproach. I've known that for a while, but I got very nervous when the Times came out with this article to remind me a couple of days before I was to give blood.

I'd given several times many years ago but stopped, largely because I'd felt lightheaded afterward and also because the FDA kept changing the travel restrictions. However, I figured I'd give it another try, since I'm now significantly heavier than the minimum weight, whereas the previous times I hovered around it.

I was relieved when the blood donation (which came to the office) was not run by the Red Cross. It was done entirely by medical professionals rather than volunteers, which was reassuring.

I got light-headed and nearly passed out, and did throw up. Hopefully that's a result of not having given in a while-- I'll try again in a couple of months. They handled it well, took good care of me.

Today, they called to check up on me. How nice is that? How professional is that? I'm impressed.

No comments: