Wednesday, July 2, 2008

phone call

Voice message from Mom: A., just calling to say hello. It's about 9pm. Are you already asleep? Give us a call when you get a chance.

***
One hour later

A.: Hello.
Mom: Hello. Where are you?
A.: Home.
Mom: Where were you? Were you asleep?
A.: I've been home. My phone was silenced-- I had a meeting in the morning and forgot to turn the sound back on afterward.
Mom: How is everything.
A.: Fine...
Mom: What, specifically, is fine? How's the weather? Is it very hot?
A.: Not particularly, it's actually quite pleasant. How are you?
Mom: Fine.

Two minutes later

Mom: How's the weather where you are?
A.: You asked me that two minutes ago.
Mom: I did? What did you say?
A.: Dad, do you remember what I said?
Dad: That it was pleasant.
Mom: Are you going on any business trips?
A.: Very likely, yes.
Mom: Why didn't you tell me!
A.: The details aren't worked out yet.
Mom: Do you know where you'd be going?
A.: Yes [citing three very unexotic locations]
Mom: Oh! Is there flooding there?
A.: No.
Mom: But it's probably very hot.
A.: [Shrug]
Mom: Okay, well, goodnight.
A.: Goodnight.

No comments: