Monday, March 24, 2008

zucchini pancakes

I hadn't realized this was an ethnic thing until one of my coworkers, who was in Peace Corps in the Ukraine, said that when he would ask his Ukrainian host mother for recipes, she had a hard time being specific. We were talking about cooking, knowing how to cook, having a sense of what works when you cook, etc.

My mom, who is an excellent cook, doesn't follow recipes. When she's asked, or when I'm asked on her behalf, we have a hard time being specific. I do follow recipes, but not when I cook Russian food. Case in point: zucchini pancakes. They are always very well received, and very easy to make, but I never measure the ingredients, so I can't share the recipe. What I can do is share zucchini pancake cooking tips:

-The ingredients are zucchini, eggs, flour, oil, salt and pepper.
-The ingredients DO NOT include potatoes and onions. Those are latkes, not zucchini pancakes. Those are strong flavors that overwhelm the delicate yet flavorful taste of the zucchini. If you're going to use potatoes and onions, you may as well not use zucchini.
-The moosewood recipe calls for feta. I tried this one and don't think it works-- I think the zucchini speaks for itself when not overwhelmed by strong flavors.
-I've used white flour in the past but I'm going to try it with chickpea flour.
-Add salt only at the very end, right before frying-- otherwise it makes the zucchini water.
-Use a cast iron skillet.
-Shred the zucchini by hand; it should be course.
-Err on the side of more egg and less flour. You really don't need a lot of flour.
-Fry at a high temperature, so use the right oil (read: not olive). And turn the fan on so that your kitchen doesn't smell like fast food.

No comments: