Monday, March 3, 2008

a little night music

It was suggested, several weeks ago, that perhaps my concern with Gracie's girth could be a projection of mom's treatment of me. I'll give it "perhaps." The central argument against that theory is that unlike Gracie, I am actually at a healthy weight. And unlike Gracie, I can take care of myself.

Still, I had to wonder when this evening, I caught myself serenading the plus-sized furball with "Baby Got Back."

Thankfully, I don't foresee mom doing that to me.

Gracie's shape isn't the only thing triggering musical associations in my mind.

***
I've been trying to determine whether the immunizations I got in 2002, and their respective boosters, are still good. There is very little information on the internet about this. One doctor did say that hepatitis shots worked for life. I've e-mailed the CDC and await their response.

If that is indeed the case-- or even if they work for ten years or something-- my trip to Panama has paid for itself.

Just thinking about that made me think of the bluegrass tribute to Van Halen.

***
Public Service Announcement: Get vaccinations when your insurance covers them, as mine did back in the day. At the time, Tufts covered travel vaccinations completely. Georgetown-- where I was when it was time to get boosters-- did as well (not including copay). MDIPA-- which I won't slam because it was quite generous with regard to my lacerated forearm, and has great dental and vision benefits-- covers jack $hit when it comes to travel vaccinations.

So if you have insurance that covers them, even if you're not going anywhere, get them now. You never know when you'll be at the receiving end of the handiwork of some food service worker that didn't wash his or her hands (which is all it takes to cause a hep a outbreak). It's a good immunization to have... but at $135 a pop for three shots, I'm hoping the CDC confirms that once you get all three, you're good to go.

No comments: