Monday, March 17, 2008

logic of complete idiots

Usually I ignore my mother's political rants, because I don't want to encourage her. Disagreeing, voicing an opinion, only provides fodder for name calling and more yelling. If I can't discuss things at a certain level of discourse, where each side is listened to respectfully, I'd rather not discuss things. However, sometimes her argument is so absurd and disappointing that I feel it would be irresponsible to let it go. In response to her jabs over the phone, I sent her this piece and as well as this one. Her response to the latter, as sent in a reply to the e-mailed link:

"logic of complete idiots (sic)"

This merits some discussion. First of all, that article was characterized by information, not a logical current. Second, with all due respect to mom, that comment is coming from someone who said, "I don't know what the intelligent design theory entails, but by it's name I think it must be right."

***
Lest you think I've been brainwashed into complacently accepting any logic laid out in a respectable publication, check out the jaw-droppingly inane logic that I came across this afternoon. The only good thing that can be said about this is that I was reading it on the elliptical, and feeling indignant got me to move faster. You won't be able to read more than an abstract, unless you subscribe to foreign policy, but it's no loss, unless you want to make your head hurt (if you are so inclined, I will send the article upon request). He doesn't define the very theme that he's writing about (nationalism), refers to vague categories of social scientists and other assorted detractors, and spews a whole bunch of other "interesting" logic.

***
Okay, off the soapbox in favor for a little superficiality: I just have to let you know that my assessment of my handbag has gone from cautious approval to outright awe. Today, it held my running shoes and gym clothes; coffee (tea) mug; three tupperware containers of lunch and snacks; and the usual assortment of personal items and portable health and beauty aids that I lug to and from work. I may be bombarded with interesting logic, but I no longer suffer from buyer's remorse.

No comments: