Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Wednesday evening roundup

Tunisia has turned a corner.

Maybe two white dwarves crash to make a certain type of supernova?

I'm a big believer in people understanding things in general, so I'd agree that atheists should understand theology (then again, I personally find theology fascinating, so it's easy for me to get into it).

I call on my fellow Virginians just a county or two over to just say no to this horse$hit.

When you manage toxic chemicals, people can drink water and snails don't get transed.

Food policy rewards irresponsible corporate behavior:
Producing and selling as much as possible is the way to go here, since the penalties for damage your product does to human and animal health and to the environment (including climate) are virtually nonexistent. You can treat the animals as you like and damn the consequences, from salmonella contamination to antibiotic resistance to water contamination to, of course, cruelty. There are even incentives, in the form of subsidized prices for animal feed.

If indeed one in fifty Americans is vegan, restaurants and other business have a lot of work to do. Other food factoids at the link (and even more in the full (PDF) Meat Atlas report).

BTW, I eat my (vegan) pizza by hand, not out of principle but because I really can't be bothered to cut it up.

Couples therapy, in a book.

No comments: