Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Snippy new year

Barely eight hours into the new year, I've already apparently offended both parents. I guess it's a combination of tiredness (what can I say: I'm not used to staying up until 1am), stress (that's too strong a word, but it's the light stress associated with imminent travel), and stimulus. In other words, when I'm tired and focused on getting things together, I'm not focused on patience.

Dad: Did you see the wraps that Lydia gets us from Costco?
A.: Yeah. I think I tried one last time I was here. I can't say I was impressed.

Dad opens the fridge to get them out. It's French doors, and he always opens both of them. And leaves them open. So they're open while he's turned around, talking to me about the wraps.

A.: Could you close the fridge please?
Dad: The fridge is fine...
A.: No! Could you close the fridge?
Dad: What is wrong with you?
A.: The open fridge is wrong with me. You can't just stand there talking to me while the fridge is open.
Dad: I read that it's not bad to leave the doors open occasionally; they're built for that.
A.: I don't know where you get your information but it's just not true.

This is one of those things where dad's underlying inefficiencies drive me crazy. There are better ways to do things, and he doesn't do them out of sheer stubbornness.

I leave, go to the room where mom is.

Mom: Were you going to lift weights?
A.: Yeah but I can wait, or do it in the other corner.
Mom: Tell me where you'll be, and I'll put my mat somewhere else.
A.: It's fine; arrange yourself first and I'll go around you.
Mom: You exude coldness.

I didn't say, what I'm exuding is crank, and it happens, because I don't really care.


No comments: