Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year in mom blog

After arguing for half an hour about stupid $hit, mom and I found out that we agree on something.

A.: OMG that woman is evil/public enemy #1, and we should turn her off and never give her another minute of attention.
Dad: Why, what did she do?
A.: She got people to fear vaccines, thereby helping to bring back diseases that had been eradicated.
Mom: You know, you're right about some things.
Dad: That woman in the pink costume?
A.: Yeah, Jenny McCarthy. She's single-handedly caused disease by convincing people to fear vaccines.
Mom: I actually agree with you.

***
For half an hour before that, we fought over my not having caviar, and about mom not going on political rants so soon in the New Year.

Mom: You should live a free life, not one hampered by self-imposed restrictions.
A.: I see them as choices, not restrictions. Seriously, if I wanted a caviar-wrapped blin right now, I would just have one.
Mom: I don't believe you.
A.: [Shrug]

And so on. And this is what I mean about the problems associated with continuity: I should be nicer to mom because she's sick, but she continues to pull the same asinine, childish shit she always has. I mean, it's just disrespectful and annoying to make anyone constantly defend or even explain her food choices, so my gut instinct is to not validate or dignify that disrespect. But there's the fact that she's sick, so I should just be nicer, anyway. I know it's true, but the resolve doesn't go far.

Mom: May you be warmer.
A.: May you get off my back.
Mom: That's not going to happen.
A.: [Shrug.]

No comments: