Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tuesday evening roundup

Yemeni girl says "no" to child marriage in a video. 

Local woman brilliantly escapes from sinking car. Here are some tips for doing so.

I guess some of this explains why mosquitoes love me.

What baffles me about McDonald's response to the horse,
“The sight & smell of this caused obvious distress and upset to customers trying to eat, as well as staff members,” the Whitefield division of the Greater Manchester Police noted in a Facebook post.
is that they think anything is more distressing or upsetting than the sight and smell of their own food. The horse poop is probably healthier and safer.

If you're gonna put mayo in your ass, do consider veganaise. 

WTF? Why are these women praising the DOC for having a boy? Oh, and Ms. Petri, I appreciate a nice dig at Gwyneth Paltrow as much as anyone, but you should know that gluten is a protein, so your phrasing is redundant; suggest you change to "other protein." And since we're on the topic of digs at GP (and other famous moms), let's roll our eyes at that afore-linked article. If DOC is as brilliant as Tina Brown says, she's not going to be reading or paying attention to mommy blogsThat (Time) article reminds me of the people who complain about Facebook for being Facebook. Sure, Facebook is ridiculous and detrimental to one's mental health, if you're competitive about it, but if you're not, who the f* cares? The reason people slam famous moms for mouthing off is that they're mouthing off. This idea that all moms are constantly judged by all for every decision is absurd (I only judge moms--and/or dads--when their kids are being my problem and they're not doing anything about it). Sure, it's circular with celebrities: they mouth off about parenting because they're asked, because they're celebrities, and then people pounce on what they say, supposedly. But those people don't care what the blogosphere has to say about their parenting decisions, anyway; they didn't ask for anyone's opinion, and I wouldn't either.

Speaking of delusions of self-importance, oh, honey, get over yourself. I have a newsflash for you: no one really understands what anybody else does, unless the profession in question is well-known. I've heard philosophy majors complain that no one understands what philosophy is about, and my mom is not the first or only person to not understand what the f* I was doing majoring in psychology. Nobody really understands what I do, and god knows you STEM people are the first to dismiss the social sciences and humanities. So I don't want to hear you complain about how physicists are so put upon. Oh, and about guys being intimidated by your brains, here's another newsflash: guys have very fragile egos and are very easily intimidated by just about anything. A friend and I were just talking about this (and she's married). I've seen guys shrink when I've talked about travels, in response to their questions. Much of the dating-advice community has responded to this phenomenon by suggesting that women dumb themselves down and only speak vaguely about their positions and accomplishments (example that I am not making up: "if you're a partner in a law firm, just say you work in the legal profession"). Or maybe the same dating-advice community could just advise the dudes to man-up; that would fix a whole lot. But I digress. I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, which is that you could be more specific in describing what you do and what it means, but I am taking issue with your perceived STEM exceptionalism.

I'm not sure how I feel about kale on a stick.

No comments: