Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sunday roundup and quick ramble

China's urbanization has been problematic.

People thought to save art amid conflict.

The Enlightenment rages on.

Solar flares can really f* with our power grid.

The spectacular fall of Virginia's governor.

Joyce Carol Oates learns that Twitter is not for complex, nuanced discussions.

Don't starve yourself before your wedding. And don't let any guy reduce you to the role of nag.

***
Mom and dad got in fine, even early. The entire, door-to-door process, in spite of mom's consistent fretting beforehand, went very smoothly. Earlier this evening, she said she was feeling a little better.

Not that this is about me, but it was really good for me to get out, both last night and most of today. It was good to go to a party--to talk to people and to get my head out of mom's predicament. I feel for her, of course, but my moping about it isn't going to make her feel better. I hope dad manages to get out a bit, too.

I came to appreciate dad more than ever over the last week. I've always appreciated him, especially more so over the last year as he's had to deal with mom's declining health and moods, but I'm continually amazed at what an amazing person he is.

No comments: