Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tuesday evening roundup and ramble

Food production is stagnating. For the gazillionth time, meat is an environmental disaster (and don't buy into Pollan's argument that sometimes it isn't).

Yeah, the Farhi headline threw me (has he been to the UK? The Guardian is not a 'small' paper).

Terrorism is... breastfeeding in public.

Spending time on one's appearance apparently invalidates you as a feminist.

Eat good fats when you're pregnant. The article failed to mention this, but flax and hemp seeds are great sources of Omega 3s.

There is no price minimum for thank-you notes.

This guy needs to run far, far away from his fiance and this woman needs to run even farther away from her husband.

When will the math people acknowledge that they can't mathicize everything?

OMG, I totally have Bitchy Resting Face and I'm soooooo f*ing sick of people continually asking me what I'm upset about (or being told to smile). Especially when friends or friends of friends do it. Someone at Nina's wedding last year kept asking me what was wrong and it was all I could do not to punch him. And then I had drinks with a friend a few months ago and every three minutes she kept commenting on how I looked really pissed off and she was really worried about me, even though I kept telling her I was fine.


***
I'd like to think that I don't preach--rather, I inform; in that vein, I feel the need to inform you of when I don't practice what I (don't?) preach: for example, when I use RoundUp on my poison ivy. It happens; there are things in this world, it turns out, against which baking soda is no match. Things that call for crud cutter (or is it Krud cutter? who the f* knows? The spray bottle is upstairs because I've taken it to my bathtub). I finally got around to recaulking my bathtub (for the third time in about a year; something had to give, and I sprung for quicker-drying, less environmentally-friendly caulk). But once I recaulked, the shiny white caulk starkly exposed the grime on the rest of the tub, so I had to deal with it. Just letting you know.

No comments: