Thursday, March 22, 2012

Phone call

I sent my parents an e-mail yesterday saying that they might want to get on getting their ticket. And also that bf and I will be sharing an apartment the week of the wedding, with each other and not with them. I called today on my barely-functioning phone to follow up.

Mom: I don't know. I just don't feel that well. I'm on antibiotics again, I'm always tired.

This reminds me a little of how mom backed out of visiting for Thanksgiving a few years ago once she realized that tickets weren't cheap. And once I'd already turned down other plans and bought a bunch of food because I thought they were coming. Mom has felt poorly, on and off, for the better part of three years. I'm not happy about this, but based on my mother's refusal to listen to logic (don't fast, get some sleep, etc.) I have chosen not to stress about what I can't change.

Mom: I talked to [the bride's parents]. They were understanding, said it would probably be stressful--there'll be lots of young people around, there'll be lots of shuffling from one place to another.

Translation: Bride's mom, a very, very close friend of my mom's, is well aware of mom's drama queen tendencies and isn't sure mom can/will tamp them down for the wedding. I actually don't think she's giving mom enough credit... well, at least I think she's exaggerating mom's willingness to create drama at someone else's family event.

A.: I'm sorry to hear that. I think you might have a good trip. But do what you need to do.
Dad: We're still thinking of going.
A.: I understand.
Mom: What's up with you?
A.: Lots. I refinanced, got much of the trip figured out, and ordered a smartphone.
Mom: Ok. What else is up?
A.: Is that not enough?
Mom: No, that's fine.
A.: Okay, good.
Mom: Anything else?
A.: No. You?
Dad: Work is busy. In a good way.
A.: I'm glad to hear it.
Dad: We'll keep you posted about the trip.
A.: Okay, thanks.

No comments: