Sunday, March 25, 2012

Conversations

When the bf and I first started dating, I assured him I'd keep him off the blog unless he pissed me off (like he did last weekend) or unless I was merely mentioning him in passing, as part of the context for other posts. This post will be an exception--he's the subject of these conversations, rather than a tangential detail, but it's not entirely unflattering to him. It's actually more about me.

***

Bf (indicating an ingredient on a menu): What is that?
A.: Oh, you know that. I have some in my fridge...
Bf: I can't identify half of what's in your fridge. To be honest, when I have to go in there [for example, for soy milk for coffee], I try hard not to look at what's inside.

***
We'd just left the Frida Kahlo photo exhibit. We talked about it a bit, but then it was quiet in the car for about thirty seconds. He put his hand on mine.

Bf: Are you tired?
A.: I'm okay, why.
Bf: It's just very quiet all of the sudden.

Yes, my friends: it takes about thirty seconds of silence on my part for my companion to start worrying about me. But here's what else I'll tell you: don't go changing; may as well date someone who loves how much you talk.

1 comment:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

My husband does the same thing. You have to look at it from their POV. Usually you're talking. When you stop, it's strange. What's really interesting is that he's sort of right to worry. Even after seven years, If I'm quiet when we're together, it's either because I'm a) working out a knotty story issue or b) fretting about something.

It's usually the latter. And what's funny is that he seems to get that I need to talk to him about whatever has me so quiet before I do. But at first it was a little strange to be asked, b/c it had never come up with past BFs.