Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday evening rant and ramble

You can say many things about Rush Limbaugh, but at least with him, you know what to expect (misogyny). I don't know about you, but I don't generally expect outward misogyny from the Washington Post. So what the f* is this? The only thing Courtland Milloy didn't do was suggest that the source of all this anger among white women is PMS. White women make their voices heard through their unique access to wealthy men? What the f*** is that?? I had no idea that white women were immune to poverty, abuse, crime, unequal pay and other forms of job discrimination, and health risks. Not to mention disrespect. Did you know that bearing a child these days is akin to downloading a file? It's not like white women have a stake in women's health. Mr. Milloy would have you believe that only black women (not even Latina women?) are losing out on basic health care in Texas because of the loss of Planned Parenthood funding in that state? That this is somehow the biproduct of bickering among priveleged white women? What the hell is this:
For the white woman, perhaps, it is the fear of losing the rights that she’d come to take for granted that has led to the explosive displays of rage. For the black woman, thwarted in her drive to win some of those same rights, fear of not getting what she deserves is probably fueling a silent fury that will soon erupt as well.
I didn't realize that victories in reproductive rights were victories for white women only. Maybe I just need to read the Post more, because I've been really out of touch.

***
I'm business-traveling, so I have access to a TV... and HBO to boot. I started flipping channels at random and came to "Game Change." I did not find it, as some have said, flattering to Sarah Palin, but it is, nonetheless, sympathetic to her. I feel for her as a person (being away from her kids, having a son in deployment, being personally attacked) but I can't forgive her, as a politician, for plunging the level of national discourse and pandering to the lowest common denominator. I don't feel bad for her getting taken to task for being more ignorant of domestic and foreign policy issues, beyond the expectations for any citizen, much less a candidate for national office. The film does give you enormous respect for Sen. McCain and his advisors. I still disagree with them on some policies, but I respect him tremendously. Who I do feel bad for are those people who felt heard by a politician for the first time. I don't know that they're right in feeling so--they have access to elected representatives, even though they may not know it; perhaps their community organizers could help them with that. Or maybe they just need Courtland Milloy to tell them that they don't have any problems.

Other thoughts on the film here, from Capehart, Cohen, Bruni, and more Bruni.

While we're reading Bruni, here's him on how slut-shaming is an epidemic. It's also apparently illegal in Florida.

No comments: