Thursday, March 8, 2012

I look awesome

Perhaps in honor of International Women's Day, I am taking the opportunity to take a counterstrike against the unfortunate trend of fat talk. The title of this blog will stay the same, since my mother missed no opportunity as recently as a few months ago to tell me that I'd gained weight, and who am I to waste my breath challenging her on something like that? But that's not to say that I won't tell you, so here it goes: I'm quite thin. I bring this partly up because several friends whom I hadn't seen in a while recently told me that I looked quite thin, and asked why that might be. I told them I didn't know, but I'll tell you what I'm doing and not doing.

What I'm doing:

-Eating a $hit-ton of carbs. Oatmeal for breakfast, rice for second breakfast, a sweet potato before I hit the gym, maybe a couple of corn tortillas (rolled with beans) after the gym, with an apple for dessert; a bowl of pasta for dinner, maybe some more fruit for dessert. I love carbs!

-Consuming a fair amount of fat (ground flaxseeds in my oatmeal; nuts or seeds as a snack; soy products; olive oil on my salad and pasta).

-Standing up all the time. I have a standing desk at work, and even though I often cheat (sit on another part of the desk), it does get me standing more than a chair would.

-Eating whatever I want, and drinking a glass of wine or two a day.

-Going to more restaurants than ever before in my life.


What I'm not doing:

-Counting calories, carbs, or grams of fat.

-Writing down what I eat.

-Eating when I'm not hungry.

-Taking supplements (apart from B12).

-Letting the presence of body fat preclude me from declaring that I look awesome.

No comments: