Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday morning roundup

This is David Brooks at his most self-amused and least witty. It could be straight out of "Bobos in Paradise" (not a bad book, but also not quite accurate), adapted for the 21st century. But Mr. Brooks, do you realize that you are the one putting opera and Ibsen above Lady Gaga? They are not inherently so. Where do I fit into all this? I'd rather see Lady Gaga than go to most operas, but I'd rather see Ibsen. Or Second City. So I understand that you're trying to make some kind of point, but could you consider for a second that that point may exist more in your mind than in society at large?

Dennis Ross will resign.

"Feminists have by and large dismissed written off her choice as ignorant and backwards, merely because it does not fit the box they have created for what makes a feminist"? Really? Who's "they"? What I've written Michelle Duggar off as is really f*ing environmentally irresponsible.

Yes, yes, Wall Street did bring on the financial crisis. End of conversation.

Gov. Perry was not the only clueless one on Thursday night.

Mark Bittman makes my day.

No comments: