Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wednesday evening roundup and ramble

Europe moves toward a saner farm policy.

Remember how Steve Jobs talked about not being limited by other people's paradigms? Behold this awesome, unstoppable 12-year-old girl.

Speaking of Steve Jobs, I recall one article describing his widow as a "militant vegan." I'm not sure what that means--perhaps that's idiot shorthand for vegans in general?

So much to say to this refreshingly anti-Gottlieb take on singlehood. Ironically, it was sent to me by a friend who shares LG's perspective, and I was concerned when I found the above-linked article starting on the same, feminism-ruined-my-life note. But that's not what she's saying.

May I share an observation about some of my married (or engaged) friends? They insist on convincing me, as well as other single people, that they know what our problem is. Our problem is necessarily what their problem was. I noticed this almost a year ago, when another single friend and I had dinner with a married friend. We talked about men and dating. The married friend could barely let either of us finish a sentence--and she was comically confused about our respective dating stories because she wasn't listening to what we were actually saying; she was scan-listening to see where she could jump in to make a point about how she had to get over herself to meet her husband, and the two of us clearly needed to get over ourselves in the same way.

Another friend, who does have some genuine wisdom to impart, seems to me obsessed with pointing out that women don't get it. We don't get that the odds are against us, whether we like it or not. All I have to say is that I could write a book about what men don't get.

1 comment:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

You were Wonder Woman with the comment baiting this week! I now think there are only two reasons that people remain single: 1) you want to be OR 2) you haven't met the right person yet.

Which happens to be exactly why I was single until I met my husband. But before I met him, I thought it was for a lot of other BS reasons -- reasons that actually make me endearing to my husband, so there you go.