Sunday, October 16, 2011

In which I snapped at my mother

Mom: Hello?
A.: [Hack, hack] Hello.
Mom: Your cough has gotten that bad!
A.: Yes, it has. I actually feel fine but don't have much of a voice.
Mom: No temperature?
A.: Doubtful. Just a sore throat. Anyway, you called?
Mom: Yeah... I had a question... what was it? What was it? Did I ask any questions in the message I left last night?
A.: No, you just said to call when I was available, and added, "I hope you know that this is your mother."
Mom: Oh. What did I want to ask you?
A.: I don't know.

Mom consults dad and a family friend who's visiting.

Mom: Oh! That stone we bought in China--what was it?
A.: I have no idea.

Why is my mother asking me about stones? I don't know anything about stones.

Mom: No, what was it--the green one?
A.: Turquoise? Jade?
Mom: No, neither of those.
A.: Then I don't know.
Mom: That stone we got in China--
A.: I DON'T KNOW, MOM!
Mom: Could you answer in an any more agitated voice?
A.: My throat hurts and you keep asking me the same question over and over again.
Mom: Fine. Feel better.
A.: Thanks, bye.

No comments: