Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thursday morning roundup

Strangers in the supermarket need to just shut up and mind their own business, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for kids to think about what makes identity. Still, this is like the third article I've read where darker-skinned parents get mistaken for nannies. If you don't have something intelligent to say, shut the f* up.

Looks like our theme for this morning is, rethinking old ideas about family. Why should this veteran get lesser benefits?

You know what, I'm saddled with a huge amount of mortgage debt, too, but no one's arguing that mine should be forgiven, because I didn't buy at the height of the market. Does salvaging the economy really mean rewarding idiotic choices? I'm sorry, I didn't mean that--I know people couldn't have known. It was the mortgage bill talking.

2 comments:

Tmomma said...

i would love for our mortgage debt to be forgiven and found it sad when we were trying to figure out whether or not to move to cvill for a better job situation that we were debating whether or not to purchase what we want and just stop paying on this house. i would have never imagined i'd even have that thought process. in the end with all the dod cuts we're going to keep riding the crazy train we're on, at least for now.

Ernessa T. Carter said...

As someone who really had to struggle for her financial education -- seriously, people who come from financially literate families don't appreciate it nearly enough -- I kind of understand both sides of the argument. On one hand it was a poor financial decision, on the other hand people didn't know it was the top of the market or that a recession was about to hit. We got out of our house just as the crash was starting and made a profit. Now we're looking again, b/c interest rates are at record lows. But we looked at a short sale the other day that had been vacated by a middle-class family -- I mean they just walked away from it in the middle of the night and moved. From what we could see they had made a reasonable purchase -- the same as what we were thinking to make, but at the top of the market. I felt like a vulture walking around their abandoned house and thought for the first time how lucky I am that my husband and I both starved in our early 20s, so that we were forced to school ourselves on money. If I had gotten a good job right out of college, I would have made so many spending stakes and my financial picture would be dire.