Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday evening roundup and ramble

Call it OWS or OWES, but it's not the Tea Party of the left.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

I am not an ideologue. There are conservatives whom I respect tremendously, and Anne Applebaum is one. Which is why I'm very disappointed with her column on OWS. The whole argument that OWS is remotely anti-democratic or detrimental to democracy, specifically because the protests occur in nations equipped with democratic institutions to address grievances, misses the point: people feel that those institutions are not working for them, that they've been coopted by special interests. They want their democratic institutions to work for them.

Believe me when I say that domestic violence is never funny. But this is not domestic violence, so I have no problem finding it f*ing hilarious.

Yes, it is ostentation in matters of food that infuriates people.

***
I am blessed to have health insurance, an awesome doctor, and health center within my office building. I leveraged all three today, and though the rest of this ramble concerns solely the third, I just wanted to count my blessings.

I was at the health center, filling out paperwork, when the center coordinator complimented my shoes. I thanked her, told her they were from a thrift shop; she said I could do that because I have small feet; I said, hardly. One thing led to another, and I started telling her that I was now in the market for synthetic shoes, and that I was struggling terribly, because they were so ugly and so expensive. At the same time. We talked a bit more about shoes, and I went in to get my shot.

When I came out, she asked me if I were, perchance, vegan. One of the nurses joined the conversation, said she had recently become a vegetarian but couldn't imagine giving up dairy. I told her I was the same way for a while, but I started feeling much better almost immediately after making the change, and wouldn't want to go back. So they asked me questions, asked me for recipes. I told them about how I recently spent the weekend with eight other people, and no one noticed, much less complained, about the three vegan dinners in a row. If it's done right, you don't notice what's missing. Anyway, I promised to send them recipes, and I hope they find what works for them. I'm glad people are interested, curious.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

i like the vegan conversation you had. i think people are generally interested in learning things from other people. i'm careful about talking about food allergy, i don't want to be overbearing but i do try to raise awareness whenever it makes sense and most people are happy to learn something new and ask questions. anyway, just happy to hear there are people who want to learn and are open minded about differences.