Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tuesday evening roundup

Interesting discussion about the Obama faith perception "problem". Susan K. Smith makes the best point: he's not going to win over that 20 percent, ever, so let it go.

While What the f* has Obama done so far? is not quite as useful as What the f* should I make for dinner, I'm loving this genre of website.

That's some seriously easygoing airport security.

Apparently, Erica Jong launched the latest salvo in the Mommy Wars in the Wall Street Journal this weekend. Here's a compelling counter argument.

I like Carolyn's response to all her writers on this issue (feeling cheated out of "moments" by an undemonstrative partner)--figure out whether and why it matters to you. Reading today's letters (and the responses) made me think of mom, who's never met a moment she didn't want to hijack. I actually say this with no bitterness--I think, thanks to mom, I don't really believe in moments. I don't know whether I say that with complete emotional honesty--would I remember three hijacked moments in particular (both graduations and getting the job offer I'd sought for years) if part of me didn't still wish I could have enjoyed them, rather than having to (1) respond to mom's attempts to pick a fight and make it about her; (2) (actually, I did enjoy that one because a family friend stepped in and told mom to show some perspective); and (3) field inquiries as to my having gained weight, get yelled at for writing an insufficiently passionate letter to Verizon, and get accused of having alienated my (then) coworkers with my overbearing personality (thus having no choice but to change jobs). And yet--some disappointment, yes, but not bitterness. I don't need someone to create moments... I'd just like to be around people who let them happen.

***
I made April McGreger's white bean and winter squash chili for a cookoff at work, and it turned out really well. I highly, highly recommend it. Also, it doesn't benefit from cheese or meat (point being--and I do like cheese, even though I no longer eat it--if something is flavorful enough as is, you don't need to drown it with the stuff).

No comments: