Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday morning roundup

Look, people: elections are not like shopping at Target. You need to think before you vote; you can't take your vote back should you experience buyer's remorse.

Wait, this is the first time someone's complained about the use of Nazi reenactors for entertainment on a scenic train ride event?

Lesser known Chinese cities scramble for bragging rights to attract tourists.

This analysis is cute, but it is deceptive to say that Brazil's economy would suffer from a dip in demand for beef. Why not factor in the economics of deforestation and other environmental destruction, vs. lack thereof?

I have mixed feelings about this British Twitter legal clusterf*. Yes, the authorities overstepped, have no sense of humor or irony, etc. And as someone who may have blogged about wanting to physically harm screaming children on airplanes (and their parents), I feel his pain. But there's also something to be said for not expressing every thought that comes to mind. I'm just saying. I'm also saying that should be left up to taste and social mores, not the legal system.

Dudes, those gloves and goggles totally go with the orange turban--makes a really chic look. Oh, and Canada encourages immigration from the developing world.

There are definitely topics I love to discuss that no one else cares about, but I doubt any of it is as boring as anything on this list.

How does your spending compare? According to that app, I spend about the same on groceries per month as the average single woman in the DC area, but I spend hundreds of dollars less on takeout and restaurant meals. The point I'm making is, healthy food doesn't cost more. Nutrition is not an elitist conspiracy.

Heidi Swanson, who is awesome, shares some vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes. I'm going to try the whole grain cornbread (replacing each egg with 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds mixed into 3 tbsps of water).

No comments: