Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunday morning roundup

Frank Rich isn't feeling the Tea Party love.

Microfinance is far from a panacea in India.

In Israel, a town recognizes the importance of culture as nourishment for the soul.

Is anyone shocked that the meat industry isn't thrilled about cutting back on antibiotics?

Two great New Yorker pieces from last week: Tad Friend on the leaf-blower wars and Ian Frazier on the invasion of Asian Carp. The latter, in particular, is very wittily written.

I'm struggling to balance the compassionate, rally-going part of me with the part that's perpetually frustrated with newby Metro riders... and I do feel for them, but wonder why they didn't think to get their farecards ahead of time. And also figured out how to use them so they didn't block the turnstiles for five minutes at a time while thinking about it. And of course it clogged traffic! Forgive the uncompassionate me for saying this, but you're a moron if you opted to drive in downtown DC yesterday.

And I wish I could tell you that this was the most civil crowd, ever--and I couldn't do that even if I hadn't been to a viking festival in York. English people, my friends, are overwhelmingly civil. But (many) people certainly pushed their way through, pushed us out of the way, etc. And as for Jon Stewart's call against douchiness, what could be more douchey than smoking a cigarette in a large crowd like that? It's not like people can, or should have to, get away from the smoke.

All that aside, though, the rally was a blast, and it was powerful. And it does inspire me to get over myself and be more civil.

The pre-rally media chatter annoyed me for being overwrought, oversimplified, etc.--and the post-rally chatter is no different. There's a difference between channeling outrage and vilifying people who may not agree with you.

It's almost 7am, and my f*ing Sunday paper's not here yet... so there will likely be a part II roundup later today.

No comments: