Saturday, September 29, 2007

what did I do, why the hostility?

A.: Hello!
Mom: Well?
A.: Well, what?
Mom: Why did you send me your itinerary? Are you coming down on business again?

Okay, my mom knows that I've been planning on going to a wedding in the Boston area in late October. That's why there's [the same dress I wore to the September wedding] hanging in the guest room, and I repeated it when she said it was too bad they'd be out of town during my business trip a couple of weeks ago. I don't expect mom to keep track of my wedding attendance, as I can barely keep track of it myself, but this one should not have come as a surprise.

A.: No, I'm going to a wedding. I'm coming down a couple of days early, though, so we should get a chance to spend some time together.
Mom: You're coming on Sunday and leaving on Thursday?

Now I know where I get my numerical dyslexia.

A.: I'm coming down on Thursday, leaving early Monday morning.
Mom: You could at least come down for my birthday.
A.: I would have loved to but I can't miss that much work and it just doesn't make sense to fly in just to leave three days before I'm flying in again.
Mom: I see.

Mom: Why are you sitting around at home? Or are you not at home?
A.: I just got back from a bike ride.
Mom: Where?
A.: Along the river.
Mom: Oh, okay. Bye.

No comments: