Friday, September 7, 2007

A happy Jewish family

I was really looking forward to doing yoga for the first time in over a week, especially with all the hiking, driving and sitting in a plane. I felt better even after the first few poses. My mom was out in the garden, so I even thought I'd have time to do yoga in peace.

I have to admit, she tried to only mumble to herself when she came into the room. Unfortunately, she decided to climb up onto the couch to water a plant just as I was in the middle of tree pose, a balancing pose that requires a lot of concentration. From tree pose, I heard my name.

A.: This minute? I'm busy.
Mom: I'm busy too!
A.: Wait a few seconds!
Mom: You are so selfish! You only ever do the things you need to do, you never do anything for anyone else.
A.: [Emerging from tree pose] Fine, what do you need?
Mom: Nothing! I don't need anything from you!
A.: I didn't think so.

She then proceeded to stomp around the room and make as much noise as possible as I went on with my yoga. While I was still in a standing pose off the mat, she kicked up the yoga mat, picked up some dumbells, and did some noisy exercises with them. Then she slammed the door and left. To her credit, she didn't turn on the tv. She continued to pout throughout the morning, and went straight to the computer as dad and I were making breakfast, prompting him to say, "what a happy Jewish family, everyone getting ready for breakfast together."

No comments: