Monday, September 10, 2007

pot...kettle...

On the way to the airport:

A.: Oh, I moved the side-view mirrors. Don't forget to readjust them.
Mom: Why would I readjust them?
A.: Because I moved them.
Mom: Oh! I can't see a thing out of these mirrors! Why did you move them?
A.: So I could see.
Mom: But I can't see anything!
A.: I moved them so I could see yesterday.
Mom: But that wasn't a good position! I couldn't see a thing.

***

At the airport, saying our goodbyes:

Mom: You have to control your temper.
A.: Bye, mom. I love you.
Mom: It's most harmful to you.
A.: Bye!
Mom: It's something you need to work on. I mean, it'll take work, but it's worth it.
A.: Bye!

***

At the airport, I was asked to leave the plane for lack of a paper ticket. Yes, I was already seated, when the gate staff discovered that I lacked the paperwork, apparently, to board the plane. They made me disembark. I asked the gate agent what the problem was; he said that my ticket probably hadn't been paid for. The fact that my credit card had been charged; that I had been issued a boarding pass; and that I'd already flown four legs on the same ticket, was beside the point. Ten minutes later, I was issued an apology and allowed to re-board, at which point one of my row mates had helped himself to my window seat. I don't blame him, and he didn't try to fight me for it, nor did he elbow me the whole way, sing, or speak German. Nonetheless, I repeat my advice to travelers: online seat reservations are a beautiful thing.

***

I was ready to leave the Rockies... my soul was full. Now I'm ready to go back. It was such a perfect trip-- the weather worked with us the whole time, raining a lot but only when it didn't matter; the beautiful views captured in the photos were accompanied by beautiful sounds, fresh air, and often, on the hikes, the smell of pine. The stars were very visible, and our campfire was perfect. I'd say it prompted the quote of the week. I'd told Elisabeth I wasn't sure I could handle a campfire, that I was too ADD. As we were searching for kindling to keep it going and prodding it with the poker, Elisabeth said, "see, a campfire is a perfect ADD activity!"

No comments: