Monday, August 11, 2014

"Kevining": Mansplaining at a whole new level

I told a couple of friends about the conversation I finally had with a dude I met at speed-dating. You may recall that I wasn't particularly taken with any of the speed-dating dudes, but one of them was pretty intriguing, and I was willing to get to know him better. He and I connected through the speed-dating system, and then played phone tag for over a month (he was out of town, then either or both of us was working ten-hour days). Finally, this weekend, we got a chance to talk. And he threw up a red flag, i.e., he Kevined me.


A.: So, toward the end of our conversation, [for whatever reason] we got to talking about theater, and he said he hadn't pegged me as a theater person. Which was odd in and of itself, but then he doubled-down, i.e., even after I explained to the contrary, he tried to convince me about why I was wrong.
B.: OMG, he totally Kevined you!

Kevin is a coworker of ours who shamelessly... Kevins. In other words, he doubles down when anyone with a modicum of social skills would back down.

We all, regularly, in the course of interacting with other people, come across information that conflicts with our world view, or, at the very least, our pre-conceived notions. The more adaptable among us, adapt our world views or lose our pre-conceived notions, often without revealing how wrong we were (for example, pointing out to the people we'd misjudged, that we'd misjudged them). Others--Kevins--don't do this. They say things like, "but you're thin! I thought all Americans were fat." Pro tip: this says more about you than it does about Americans; it's flattering to no one. Don't say it.

Kevin is a notorious Kevin. He will actively argue with you about things that are about you.

Kevin: But I thought you would have...
A.: But I don't...
Kevin: But I thought...
A.: Bzzz zzz...

RM was a Kevin. When he got his head set on something--for example, my "eating schedule"--he wouldn't drop it, in spite of any explanations to the contrary (i.e., "I just plan out meals because I cook for myself, which requires some advanced thought; not because I adhere to a strict eating plan").

I told you recently that many a dude has tried to mansplain me to me. One dude I dated mansplained to me that I was rebelling against femininity. Another mansplained that I was deferential to authority. (WTF to both). I could go on, but let's get back to speed-dating guy:

SDG: You didn't strike me as a theater person.
A.: Huh?

Aside: I don't even know what that means. I don't believe that there are theater people and not; just that there are people who know what a play can be, and those who have yet to experience that. I mean, even when I didn't have a TV for five years, I wouldn't have referred to myself as a non-TV person. So... I don't entirely accept the 'theater person' concept. But, c'mon: if you had to divide people into theater people and not, I'd easily fall into the theater-people category.

I told him that I volunteered at my local communnity theater. He doubled-down:

SDG: So you're a techie; I can see you as a techie, but not as a theater-person.
A.: Um, no. I'm on the least technical side of the technical side. And I got into the "technical" stuff by virtue of being into theater, writ large.
SDG: Really? I just don't see it.

So this was the sign, with regard to the speed-dating guy. I wasn't convinced, but I thought I'd give him a chance. But I won't stand for Kevining.

No comments: