Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Consider yourself motherless

Mom: Did you watch the news last night?
A.: I was sitting here when the news was on.
Mom: So you know what he did. Your hero. That dirtbag that you voted for...
A.: Must you invoke 'dirtbag' so early in the morning? I don't want to hear that word or others of that tone, and I'm not going to engage in conversations on the matter.
Mom: What if someone really is a dirtbag?
A.: That's not the point. It's not about the substance; it's about the tone.

[Pause]

Mom: I think I'll stop visiting you, or being happy when you visit. Your father will still be happy about you, I gather. But I'm afraid I've lost you forever. We have nothing to talk about. We have nothing to do. I'd suspected it, but now I'm sure. I wish you the best. But consider yourself motherless. It will be less painful for me.

***
Is it sad, or fine, that I didn't even blink? That mom's 'you're dead to me' schpiel has become so routine--as routine as 'you're fat' once was--that I shrug it off? That entire conversation took place in even, measured tones. Think about that: mom said, "consider yourself motherless" and I shrugged.

No comments: