Thursday, August 8, 2013

Thursday roundup

Julia Ioffe explains Russia (actually, she explains how she tried to explain it to Lawrence O'Donnell).

Xinua falls for a Borowitz story about the Post's acquisition.

Larium could make you crazy, and for a very long time. But there's hope for a vaccine.

It's apparently news that pollution kills.

Using land for grain to feed people is (yawn) more efficient than using land for grain to feed animals to feed people. How many times do we have to go over this?

Were you wondering what I thought about the waffle taco? I'll let you guess. Then guess what I think of this culinary innovation.

You can now shop at MOM's in bare feet.

High-energy physicists are taking credit for the quality of our chocolate.

If this is what it takes to "keep" a man, I'm already disqualified. Among other things, I'm not getting back into my kitchen (until I feel like it). And this (modern-day!) study is ridiculous in so many ways. Of course if you over-engineer your study to point to a narrow hypothesis, and then interpret the results according to said hypothesis, you're going to find what you want to find, but why would a serious biology journal publish your work? I guess I'm not the best judge of these things, since I neither buy luxury goods nor expect anyone else to buy me luxury goods, and I generally don't sport status symbols, and I couldn't care less about ring size. And I guess some people do, even though it's obvious and now sciency that material things won't make you happy. But still, that ladies like stuff does not prove the researchers' point that they like blingier stuff because it signals to other ladies that "their" men are off-limits. I mean, that's just some convoluted bullshit.

Don't be afraid to be single until you actually meet someone who inspires you otherwise.

No comments: