Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pictures from the Cape

We went to the beach for a quick dip--quick mostly because it was low tide and our long walk in the water made us pinchmeat for the hermit crabs--and watched the sunset and (full)moon-rise.

That's Nina and Jameson in the distance



















The next day, we went to Marconi, which was more crowded than we'd ever seen it. Nina and I went all the time as kids (with one set of parents or the other, obviously). The dunes were as awesome as ever and the water was freezing, which, naturally, did not stop me from getting in. I stayed in until I saw a silverish body not far from me, which turned out to be just a seal. It was followed by the rest of its herd.







We lounged on the beach and buried Nina in sand.






[Picture removed because some pervert kept downloading it.]

Then we went back up and took some pictures from above the dunes. We ran into some turkeys (not literally) on the way back.





The next day, we went whale-watching and won the whale-watch lottery: a mama humpback and her calf, which is a very rare sighting indeed. Did you know that a humpback's breastmilk is 55% fat and that the calf gains 150-200 pounds a day?





Not impressed? I'll post some videos of their frolicking when I get home. For now, check out this bird.



And then... Carnival!




























I texted Jay: "These queens don't f* around!" His response was, "Oh, but they do."















So that was Carnival. The next day, we hit the beach in the morning (and it was even more freezing). I stayed in for a while, and the chill lasted for an hour after I got out of the water, but it was worth it. Then we cleaned up and headed back to Provincetown to get the ferry to Boston. On which there was an adorbs Pomeranian pup of four months (picture taken with permission).



I do miss Boston Harbor, where I worked for years.

But I wouldn't miss it in the winter. Nonetheless, it still feels like home.

No comments: