Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sigh

Dad asked if he could set me up with the son of friends of friends. He doesn't know anything about the guy, but he's the son of friends of friends, so he must be alright. Oh, also, he lives in the Midwest. But, you know, he really wants to meet someone.

Dad's not the only person who's tried to set me up with someone who lives in the Midwest. But the other people at least know the guy. And it's not like no one local is interested in me. Someone asked me out last week.

Yeah, I know, first-world problem, having suitors. But if I'm not interested, I'm not interested. I like my life and I'm only going to allow someone into it if I really like him. I "duty dated" for years--went out with people I wasn't so sure about because you never know. But I did know, and I only knew more definitively if it ever got to another date (or two or three). It didn't make me better at dating; if anything, it made me worse at it: when I did go out with someone I really liked, I didn't know how to be.

So that makes me single-by-choice, I guess. I'm the woman trolls love to hate: too picky for my own good. Too happy with my life to settle for the sake of settling. I know myself well enough that I know I can only be around people whom I actually want to be around. I'll date when I want to date.

No comments: