Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday morning roundup

Where throwing stones is a sport... and it's not even Gaza. 

Korea's government is tackling declining marriage rates with matchmaking parties. Which reminds me of this article about Japanese women opting out of marriage because the dudes on the market are mere man-children.

Don't get butt injections, especially potentially fatal ones. 

Erik Marcus on why all-or-nothing veganism (by way of the honey question) serves no one.

George Saunders makes the case for kindness.

I'm all over putting beauty in its place, but you also have to realize that commenting on a child's beauty often implies "inside and out." I doubt that most people who call a child beautiful are rating the kid on a scale from one to ten; it's more a general statement about the child's being. 

On a related note, I guess, I was hoping for so much more from this: what does a woman owe a guy that she rejects? But the post doesn't address the question. And I have to say in defense of "short, geeky men," I'm a short, geeky woman who's attracted to such men. But seriously: do I have to go out of my way to make the guys I reject feel comfortable? (The answer is, depends on how pushy/polite they are). And politeness is all you owe someone; an explanation isn't part of the deal.


No comments: