Monday, November 19, 2012

Monday evening roundup

Organic farming requires less energy input.

Remember my epiphany about how I'm kind of a gay man because I like ballet, cats, and gay men? Well, if knowing the difference between hummus and baba ghanoush is thrown into the equation, we know to which side that tips the scales. However, though I did love the film as a child, I'm not particularly taken with "The Wizard of Oz," and that apparently counts for a lot.

Another karma-is-a-bitch episode with regard to smug married women:
Yeah, I was judgmental. It was inconceivable to me that you wouldn't be able to tell, pretty much right off the bat, what kind of man you were getting involved with. It didn't occur to me that people change -- or that people can be pretty damn good at hiding things.
So when this happened to me, a lightbulb flashed on. Ohhhh, you mean bad things can happen to smart people? You mean people don't necessarily walk around with signs saying, "I'll cheat on you" or "My social drinking is going to become a real problem down the line" or "Maybe I'm great with the dog, but I'm going to be a lousy dad"? Now I was the one getting the ol' Ohhhhh, didn't you know? eyebrow raise. Karma is a bitch.

Now when I see judgmental comments online, or I hear them in real life, I just laugh. You wait, I think. In fact, I think most of the time when women are being judgmental about other women's relationships, they just haven't found out something about their husbands yet. If you haven't, and never do, then you should still be nice to those not as lucky as yourself -- because you didn't necessarily choose correctly. Luck played a role too.
Oh how I would love to see Ljubljana.

Mark Bittman on a number of food and agriculture issues. By the way, I made the squash gratin that my friends made last weekend, and it was f*ing phenomenal.

No comments: