Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday evening roundup and response to comments

Is Morocco's "third way" a delusion?

Indeed, some tweeters missed the point of the sorry-feminists hashtag entirely. Some missed it in a really sad way and some just weren't funny or poignant. My #SorryFeminists tweet was this, because this feminist is sorry about girls getting shot for fighting for education.

Assholes may want to rethink their shaming tactics. I don't know about the "should never be allowed," because I'm all over the even-assholes-get-free-speech thing, which is why I welcome the internet's peer review process. But otherwise, I agree with this sentiment:
Beyond the fact that men, who can't give birth, should never be allowed to criticize a woman who has had children -- particularly with all the changes that women's bodies experience through that process -- is the fact that this man thought it was his right to shame a woman who is paid to inform the public about local news, not to entertain this man's idea of beauty or health. The viewer, who stands by his comments, doesn't know if her weight is due to illness, life demands, an eating disorder or laziness. What he did assume from the outset is that shaming this woman over her weight would be acceptable, and it isn't.
See the internet's peer review process at work in this awesome woman's experience.


Don't blame peanuts for salmonella.

On that note, the second half of the Wall Street Journal's debate over plant-based vs. omnivorous eating is not convincing. I won't spend much time debunking its assertions, because I already have, but I'll point out that all the facts are in the first half and all the (flawed) reasoning in the second, and I'll repeat one easy 'debunk' by italicizing some key words here:
Individuals who stop eating meat and dairy products are at risk of not getting enough calcium, vitamin D, protein, vitamin B12, zinc and iron in their diets—all nutrients that come mostly from food products derived from animals.
Unlike individuals who do eat meat and dairy? Everyone's at risk of not getting enough of all those nutrients and more. Vegetarians and vegans, like omnivores, can easily get plenty of them. I've written about how I get plenty of protein without even trying. Vitamin B12 is the only thing you can't naturally get from a plant-based diet, but it's not hard to get supplements.

Your exhaustion does no one any favors.

***
Ernessa, thanks for the kind words/moral support. I always love to know that people are reading, listening, etc. BTW, I read earlier about your making sure Betty gets plenty of real food--which is awesome!

Thanks also for the Op-Ed Project info. I may do a workshop, although I can't (or at least shouldn't) put my name on any op-eds and keep my day job (er, job). But I'd still be interested in mastering the structure.

2 comments:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

Still not getting anywhere with the vegetables. My goal for next year is to go full throttle with presenting them in new and interesting ways. But the formal snack has been awesome for her and me. I'm doing great with weight management these days and I love not having to think about it so much.

Totally understand about OpEd. But even under an anonymous byline I think you'd have a lot of great things to contribute.

Sadly, I think Prop 37 will be defeated out here, b/c there aren't enough intelligent people defending it -- I wouldn't even begin to know how, and certain lobbies are spending tons of money to get it voted down. I don't even have cable anymore, but they've wallpapered Hulu Plus with them, too. They're distressingly thorough.

Ernessa T. Carter said...

And I super LOVE the new name of the blog! Nice!