Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tuesday afternoon rambles

I always knew there was a problem with that caveman diet. As with every other high-protein/low-fat diet, people see results because it's preferable to the standard American diet of Cheetos and Hohos. But it's still problematic:
A new chemical analysis of modern diets suggests Stone Age humans ate less meat than thought.

The findings, published in the November issue of the American Journal of Physical Anthropology, may explain why many archaeologists estimate that prehistoric people got most of their calories from lean meat or fish when modern humans would be literally poisoned by such a protein-heavy diet.
"When you look at estimates of people's diets in early archaeological interpretations, it's very animal-protein heavy, and that's very hard to explain physiologically," said study author Tamsin O'Connell, a University of Cambridge researcher. "We are suggesting that animal proteins were less important overall."
You know there's a problem when your 'paleo' friends snub their noses at oats, possibly the healthiest food on the planet, because the cavemen didn't eat it.


***
I'm not the only one who had to make sure I had enough wine to get me through the storm. The storm also had me craving comfort foods, so even more decadence today. Yesterday, all my fats were healthy; today, less so, since I had a quesadilla (Follow Your Heart jack cheese). I've also been snacking on the extra real-pumpkin muffins I made to bring to work (though those are made entirely with healthy fats--flax for eggs and rice bran for oil--and not too much sugar). But really, I need to stop snacking on them nonetheless.


***
I spent the morning working from home, which served to remind me why I don't do it more often, unless it's absolutely necessary: slow connection, one monitor, too much isolation--even for me. and Gracie was even quiet this morning; usually she's whining at my heels when I'm trying to work. Still, I'm glad I was able to do it; otherwise, tomorrow would be even more of a stress monster.

***

Per AAdvantageGeek's advice, I called Bose. They were professional, polite, and on it. We'll see whether the points post, but I really should have just dealt with them in the first place rather than AAdvantage customer service.

No comments: