Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday evening roundup

Remember when Safeway, upon arresting a mom whose child opened a food wrapper before paying for it, learned that a 'zero tolerance' policy can be a PR disaster? And I didn't say that parent was in the right, but I still agreed it was bad policy? Well, Spirit Airlines may or may not have learned a similar lesson. I clicked 'look inside' this book and liked what I saw, even though the book is not for me (I don't need to be convinced to be vegan, and I don't need help getting started). But I like what she wrote about how we (at least most of us) understand that tigers and eskimos can't be vegan, but that people can still choose to be. Also liked how she wrote about people eating vegan all the time realizing/acknowledging it. I did not like what I saw in this, on the other hand. Really, CNN? Do you just print anything? It's poorly written and uncompelling, but what really got me was at the end: what does she mean by "kid-friendly," so that she's not "always making two meals"? You can't figure out how to make vegan food--say, pasta with marinara sauce--kid friendly? Have I mentioned that when I was growing up, my parents never gave me a choice of what to eat (though they respected or at least humored my vegetarianism)? They never thought to cook separately. This whole thing about 'two meals' just baffles me.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

we cook one meal for most meals and you either eat it or you don't. no such thing as kid food in our house, just food. sometimes when i know i'm making something that my youngest absolutely won't touch, i'll give him leftover pasta or that sort of thing. there's absolutely no convincing him to eat something he's not interested in or i guess even scared of; we were told this is sort of a natural psychological thing for many food allergy kids. it drives me crazy that he is so picky on top of his allergies but we were told this is very normal so anytime he adds a new food, it's really awesome!