Sunday, May 27, 2012

God grant me the patience...

...to keep having the same conversation over and over again, even with the same people, usually my parents. Sometimes their friends.
Dad: I made yours without cheese.
A.: Thank you. Mom: Why don't you want cheese on yours?
Dad: She doesn't eat dairy.
A.: That's right, I don't. Also, it adds nothing to sweet potatoes. But primarily, I don't eat dairy. Mom: Why don't you eat dairy?
A.: Do we have to have this conversation every time I visit?
Mom: Yes. Consider that I've lost half my brain.
A.: I will not consider that you've lost half your brain.
Mom: Then, humor me. A.: Dairy (1) has a ginormous environmental impact (carbon footprint, methane footprint, water requirement); and (2) results in cruelty to animals, by virtue of factory farm conditions and the killing of the calves.
Mom: But there wouldn't be cows otherwise.
A.: Do you think it's better that there are confined, mistreated cows?
Dad: This concept is valid, but it's not for everywhere. Some people need dairy for subsistence.
A.: Did I say it was "for everywhere"? The issue is, we don't need dairy for subsistence.
Mom: When we were in Italy, in the mountains, there were cows just roaming freely.
A.: Fair enough, but most dairy that we consume here--even organic dairy--doesn't come from free-roaming cows, and there's still the calf issue.
Mom: So you would eat dairy in Europe? A.: I still prefer not to, but I have fewer options when I travel so I consider it. Another point is that I feel much better when I don't eat dairy.
Dad: That's a whole other issue.
A.: Well, it's an additional issue.
Mom: Well, I feel better when I eat dairy.
A.: Did I ever tell you to stop? Mind you, cutting back would probably help with whatever memory issues you think you're experiencing.
Mom: [Shrug] The conversation shifts to the beauty of the Italian Alps, the freshness of the air, etc. A much more original conversation.

No comments: