Sunday, June 26, 2011

Purge

It's not every day, or even every month, that I tell you a play is phenomenal. I say that maybe a few times a year. I see a lot of plays, most good or very good. It's only once in a while that one comes along and blows my mind, and "Purge" at Scena Theater at the H Street Playhouse is one of those.

It wouldn't be glib to say I don't feel that bad now about having missed "Ruined," since one should probably limit oneself to one play about human trafficking per season, but it would be stupid. Both are about redemption. I can't speak to "Ruined," although I've heard the same thing from people who saw it (and I hope to catch it when it comes back through town). The point is, both take on a heavy subject matter only to fill you with the will to live, rather than sap it. "Purge" also has that extra bit of meaning to me because of the historical angle, and because that history is Eastern Europe's.

All this to say, go see it. It's playing through next Sunday.

No comments: