Friday, June 3, 2011

Phone call

I've been mindful about being very even-toned with my mother lately. She's been very tired and in a lot of pain from her operation. I've been meaning to go visit, but I initially waited until she was more mobile and then until I could pull it off work-wise. So we discussed the upcoming holiday weekend. I was looking at an alternative and discussed both with her.

She called me, not twenty minutes ago. I didn't snap, but I had to take on a firmer tone.

Mom: Marilou called--she's invited us over for the 4th! She's back in NH.
A.: Okay, but I was going to visit on the weekend of the 4th.
Mom: Great--we can all go up together.
A.: Well, no, I'll need to catch a return flight on the 4th.
Mom: Oh. Can't you go back the next day?
A.: No, I need to be at work the next day. I'm taking off a day and a half the previous week.
Mom: Huh.
A.: It's fine. You can drop me off on the way up there and go without me. I'd love to see her but it's what makes the most sense.
Mom: What time?
A.: I wanted to get the flight tonight, I was just looking at times. There are a couple mid-day--would that work? Then you can drive up right after dropping me off.
Mom: I don't know. What time do we usually go up there?
Dad: Not until the afternoon. So that works, if A. picks a late morning/early afternoon flight.
Mom: How about this? I'll give her a call tomorrow and ask. Or did you want to book the flight tonight?
A.: I wanted to book the flight tonight.
Mom: Well, you know, we just got back. And everything's in bloom. The roses are out of control this spring--
A.: Mom, I know. We discussed the roses in detail yesterday. Right now, we need to talk about flight times.
Mom: Okay, early afternoon probably works well.
A.: Sounds good, I'll get the ticket now. Thanks, mom. Goodnight.
Mom: Goodnight.

No comments: