Saturday, July 7, 2007

The world is not your babysitter

The dentists and their staff were late opening the office in the morning, and a number of people had gathered outside waiting, including a young boy and his father, who was letting him run wild. The boy was bugging everyone else who was waiting, and several times ran into the store next door (yes, my dentist's office is in a strip mall), while his father ignored him.

Finally, the dentists & co. arrived, opened the office, saw me, let me go. As I was leaving the office I heard the kid still bugging everyone in the waiting room. He asked me as I left whether they'd brushed my teeth. I said yes; What I should have done was turn to his father and say, "perhaps next time you could bring a coloring book or other distraction for your son, rather than making everyone else in the waiting room babysit him?"

No comments: