Sunday, July 22, 2007

I found the answer!

As you well know if you've been paying attention, it's not easy to get my mom off the phone. Saying, for example, "this is a REALLY bad time, I'm going to be late, goodbye!" or "We can talk about this later, I have to go this minute" usually don't get me anywhere. I've doubted whether, "My house is on fire and I can't talk," would.

Imagine my surprise then at the following conversation last night:

Mom: Where have you been?
A.: Huh?
Mom: It's been two weeks since we've talked!
A.: I believe we spoke earlier this week.
Mom: We did? I don't think so.
Dad: Actually, we did.
A.: In any case, I can't talk now, I'm reading "Harry Potter." I'll call you tomorrow.
Mom: Oh, okay, I'll let you get back to that.


Now, this is not something I'll ever be able to use again, but still, I was impressed at her deference.

I am, by the way, available as a human being again case you were wondering. I stayed up late reading, woke up early to read, and finished shortly before noon. It was excellent.

It was a kind of funny scene- my roommate's daughter was here for the weekend and she was reading too. We'd stop every few chapters to compare where we were and what we thought. We were both completely enrapt.

A couple of people have told me they were surprised that I was a fan, which surprises me. I mean, it's a great book (they are great books). I highly recommend them.

***

After I finished reading, I headed out to the Sackler to see the "Encompassing the Globe" exhibit on the former Portuguese Empire. On my way to the metro, I called home, and, since no one answered, left a message saying (in Russian), "Hi, give me a call back, I may or may not be able to come to the phone until later this afternoon, though."

My parents called me back this evening.

Mom: What was the second part of your message?
A.: What?
Mom: I got the first part, but wasn't sure what you meant by the second part.
A.: Does it matter?
Mom: Sure it matters.
A.: Something about my being around or not when you call.
Mom: What exactly did you say?
A.: I don't remember.
Dad: Why does it matter?
Mom: I'm just curious about what you said.
Dad: How is everything?
A.: Fine, you?
Dad: Good, we just got back from Rhode Island.
Mom: How's work? Do you like it? Are you not exhausted by that long drive.
A.: [Shrug. Why don't you also remind me about how there are no good swimming holes in the D.C. area?] No, it's fine.
Mom: Just wondering.

No comments: