Sunday, July 29, 2007

One of us is imagining things

Mom: Are you in touch with Nina?
A.: Yeah. I know she's in town, I won't be able to make it up in time to see her this time around...
Mom: She's going to Argentina and Hong Kong, all paid for by work... she's proof that one should just go with the flow and do what she feels is right [and so on about how Nina's always done the right thing by defying convention and following her dreams]. Well, you've always done that too, except that Psychology degree was completely worthless. And we've always supported you in doing what you think is right.

I didn't argue. I just marveled at her ability to manipulate reality.

Mom: One more thing, I'd like you to put 911 on speed dial, as the first entry in your address book.
A.: So I can dial it by accident all the time?
Mom: You never know, it's so dangerous out there.
A.: It's three numbers; it's just as easy if not easier to dial them as it is to retrieve an entry from my phone book.
Mom: Well this way you wouldn't even have to think about it.
A.: I don't have to think about it anyway. I managed to dial 911 with one hand while the other was occupied with containing the bleeding flap protruding from my arm. If it's in my phone, it'll get dialed by accident, and it wouldn't save me any time.
Mom: Well, you never know.
A.: I'll know how to dial that number if I ever need to.
Mom: Okay, well, goodbye. Call often.
A.: Okay, goodbye.

No comments: