Saturday, July 21, 2007

I love Alexandria...

...and I so disagree with the Libertarians.

Originally, I didn't want to move out of D.C., in spite of its inadequate social services that have in no way kept up with its cost of living. In this entry, I will not dwell on the other things I love about Alexandria, such as the shopping (for necessities and otherwise). It's all about the services.

Almost a year ago when I accidentally shoved my arm through a window, I heard sirens within a few minutes of calling '911.' It was indeed a very timely response. I'm not sure how much blood I'd have lost had I dialed the same number in the nation's capital.

I've always enjoyed my local library, although it's apparently nothing like the main Alexandria library. I have high standards for libraries, having grown up in Newton. Still, I was surprised when I got an e-mail last night letting me know that my copy of Harry Potter was there and would be available for pickup as soon as the library opened today. I know there were at least twenty people ahead of me on the list; I guess they got at least that many copies. The librarian said I could only have the book for two weeks. We both smiled, because few people need that long.

On my way to the library (which was really on the return leg of my bike ride), I needed to wash my hands, having had to replace the chain back to its proper place. Not one but two people actually stopped to help me deal with my bike issue, which has never happened to me before. I remember I was struggling with my seat once (the original had been stolen and the replacement wasn't staying in place; I didn't need outside help, but still), and the closest I got to an offer for help was someone riding by and saying, 'you're all set?' as he sped away. Anyway, I was grateful to the people who stopped to help me, but my hands were black with grease. Fortunately, along the Mt. Vernon trail are comfort stations with clean and functional facilities that rival those found in many airports.

In case you're wondering why I'm not reading Harry Potter, I have plans in an hour and don't want to start it only to have to put it down.

No comments: