Thursday, May 31, 2007

Poor unwanted bug

My mom asked me to sweep up around some of her plants, where leaves and dirt had fallen, so I did. I was sweeping into the dustpin when she said, "not that one! that's the [minibroom and dustbin] I use to sweep the table sometimes!" I said, "how was I supposed to know that?" She said, "there were other dustpans in there!" Which still doesn't explain how I was supposed to know not to use that one.

***

I had brought my parents various gifts from New Zealand, some useful (wooden salad spoons), some decorative (a Maori mask, some jewelry) and one novelty (a small, wood-carved bug with wheels on its legs that you push around your desk when you're bored at work). I thought it was pretty cool and almost got it for myself but then I figured, my dad gets bored at work more than I do, he needs it more, so I got it for him. He seemed happy about it at the time (and it's quite possible he was just being polite), otherwise I would have taken it, but my mother expressed signs of discontent with the bug early on.

Phone call, a week or so ago:

A.: Did you by chance pick up my epipen when you were here?
Mom: Why would we do that?
A.: I mean, by accident. I can't find it. Did you happen to pick it up?
Dad: You had left one here a while ago-- when did you lose it?
A.: I know I brought it back from my trip but haven't found it since.
Mom, sarcastically: I happened to pick up a whole bunch of stuff you brought back from your trip, including that bug, for which I had to spend a lot of time finding a home.
A.: The bug was for dad, and if you don't want it, I'll take it.
Mom: Dad didn't know what to do with the bug...
Dad: I never said I didn't want the bug...
A.: So, you don't have my epipen?

Then, when I got in on Saturday, my mom complained again about the bug. I told her I'd take it if dad didn't want it. Dad said he did want it. Mom said no he didn't. I asked her where it was. So, today, I stumbled on it back behind a vase and an envelope holder, where it is of no use to anyone, and determined to offer it to dad once more and if assessed that he doesn't want it, take it to work with me.

Mom: Fine, I'll see if I can find a home for it on the table near the computer.
A.: You don't have to try to find a home for it.
Mom: Well, I'll give it a shot.
A.: Don't do me any favors.
Mom: You are so narcissistic! Why do you think I'm doing this for you?
A.: Because you keep making an issue of what a burden this bug is for you? Also, I don't think that's what narcissistic means...
Mom: Why aren't we going for your run? Are you waiting for it to start raining?
A.: [Sigh.]

No comments: